Saturday, June 21, 2008

Photo of the Day

Ruins of the Castle of the Lascaris
20 Jun 2008

Canon EOS 400D, Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, 29 mm
1/400s @ F/14.0, ISO 400

Part of the wall of the former main turret of the Castle of the Lascaris in Tende, France. The castle was built in the 14th century as protection against the attacks from the Count of Provence, Charles d'Anjou. All that remains of the castle now is a circular tower converted into a clock tower in the 19th century and this ruined wall. The Castle of Tende was destroyed in 1692 by the troops of Louis XIV who sent Marshall Catinat to destroy all the fortified sites that might cast a shadow on his authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment